In this user guide I am going to install latest version of umbracoCMS 7. This installation requires following tools and frameworks in your machine:
- Visual Studio 2013 or above
- .NET framework 4.5 or above
- Nuget Package manager
- Microsoft SQL SERVER
you can read which platform is better in Umbraco and wordpress at following link: WHICH ONE IS BEST PLATFORM | UMBRACO VS WORDPRESS?
Table of Contents
Step 1: Create MS SQL SERVER Database User for UmbracoCMS Database
- Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Connect to your SQL Server by providing Instance Name with login user or windows authentication
- Now Right Click on Login under Security folder hierarchy and select New Login from menu
- Provide your desire Login name, I have used “umbracouser” in this tutorial
- Select “SQL server authentication” and enter your desire password you want to set for this user and remember it
- Uncheck Enforce password policy as shown in Image below
- Click on “User Mappings” from left panel of Login window as shown in image.
- Now check for “master” database from User mapped to this login
- Now check the selected roles as show in image from the Database role membership for master database.
- Click on OK to create this user
Step 2: Create MS SQL SERVER Database for UmbracoCMS and assign the user that is created in Step 1.
- Right Click on Databases and select “New Database”
- Provide your desired database name in Database Name Text Box, I use “UmbracoDB” in this guide, you can give any logical name to it.
- Enter the user name in Owner text Box you have created in Step 1, which is “umbracouser”.
- Click on OK to create Database.
keep remember database user name, Password and Database name that you have created.
Step 3: Create an Empty ASP.NET Web Application Project
- Click on File > New > Project
- Select “ASP.Net Web Application” from Templates>Visual C#>Web
- Select your latest version of .NET Framework from drop down as shown in image, In my case, I am using “.NET Framework 4.6.1”
- Provide desire name for the project under Name and Solution Name Text Boxes respectively. I give “UmbracoSite“.
- Optional: You can also change location by clicking on browse button to select folder directory where you want to store this project.
- Click on OK to proceed on next step.
Step 4: Select an “Empty” template and Click on OK to complete creating your ASP.NET Web Application.
Step 5: Open Nuget Package Manager Console (CLI)
Step 6: Write UmbracoCMS package installation command, you can get from below link.
I am installing latest version of Umbraco 7 which is Version. 7.15.4 in this guide.
- Copy and Paste the command from the URL above to the Nuget Package Manager Console and Press Enter to begin installation. It will take some time to complete so please be patient and make sure your internet connectivity. You can also install any version but make sure you must have dependencies installed in your machine.
PM > Install-Package UmbracoCms -Version 7.15.4
- Once Installation completed successfully, txt file will be opened in your Visual studio windows as shown in image below.
Step 7: Rebuild and Run your Solution
Step 8: In your default browser “Install Umbraco 7” Page will appear that have Admin User Registration Form to fill
- Providing your Name, Email and desire Password and Click on Customize to proceed with customize installation for UmbracoCMS.
Step 9: Configure your Database
- Select Database type “Microsoft SQL Server” from drop down list
- Enter your SQL Server Instance name in Server Text Box
- Enter your Database Name “umbracoDB” that you have created earlier in Step 2.
- Enter Login user name “umbracouser” and password “umbraco123” that you have created in Step 1
- Click on Continue to proceed on next step
(Please choose Strong and unforgettable password. In case you forgot your password then here is the steps >> How to Reset your Umbraco Admin User password).
Step 10: Configure an ASP.NET Machine Key by selecting Continue
Step 11: Click on the Image link to Install Starter Website template as shown in image below.
Your starter template will begin to install
Once the starter template is installed, you will be redirected to UmbracoCMS Admin panel with welcome popup window.
Hurrah! Now you can open your website by Entering URL “localhost:portnumber” in new tab.
In my case “localhost:5412” is umbraco website URL. You can get your website URL from UmbracoCMS Admin panel URL as shown in image below.
Hope this Helps and you enjoy UmbracoCMS Installation!